We progress with the White Valley of Slaughter, following on from the Valley to create the Caves known as the Whispering Hollows.
From our maps generation we have named the caves the "Whispering Hollows" and possess a map.
We can put together a brief description:
"The Whispering Hollows are the oldest part of the White Valley of Slaughter, protecting an ancient fountain blessed of the chalk figures. They may have had an older name but now their whispers follow all who approach. It was here that the greatest fighting occured in the ancient battle."
"The villagers come here once a year to renew the chalk figures and pay their respects to the ancient fallen. "
We want to incude
- Presence of the Cult of the Horned Ghost
- Details of the Wraith and why it is there and the quest it may give to players
- Add indications of an ancient battle here
- Signs of the annual pilgrimage here by the villagers of the White Valley into the caves
- A tie with the chalk giants, maybe some sort of guardian for them.
- A few creatures such as vermin that use the other cave entrance.
Map and Entrances
We can number it in the final version, but for now we know the three entrances are
- Way out to the White Valley via the gates
- Second way out to the White Valley used by vermin and harder to navigate for humanoids
- The bridge down to the Hero's Tomb
Our description of the main entrance is helped from our description created in our first post
"A tall pair of granite doors in a somber grove marks the entrance to this dungeon. Beyond the pair of granite doors lies a scanty, shady room. It's covered in crawling insects, puddles of water and dead vermin. Your torch allows you to see a broken statue part of a fountain, long lost and claimed by time itself."
Likely Room Details
From our generated room details we can expand our ideas
We can take the following room ideas from the list
- "Ceiling drips mineral water". This fills a pool near to the fountain which the villagers carry off on their ceremony.
- "Small white rabbit". The white rabbit could have a connection to one of the chalk figures.
- "Oblong rug". There is an ancient rug here in the cave near to the entrance used by the villagers.
- "Human Crypt"- There is a human crypt here built at the same time as the Hero's Tomb. Old and new inscriptions
We can place the following room descriptions for the caves, adding in details of the bull cult and the route of the villagers pilgrimage.
"This room is brightly lit by an unseen, possibly magical source. It's a quiet, square room about 10 feet by 10 feet. The wooden walls here surround a flagstone floor. You see a marble statue of a god."
"This cave is brightly lit by a flickering bright light of unknown origin. It's a quiet cave around ten feet across, broken flagstones litter the cave, before the marble statue of a bull-like figure."
"This room is brightly lit by large skylights. It's a quiet, irregular room about 20 feet by 20 feet. The stone and mortar walls here surround a cobblestone floor. You see a pitchfork, and a large spider web."
"This room is brightly lit by large glowing torches. It's a quiet, irregular cave about 20 foot across. The floor has been cobbled. You see a bloodstained pitchfork and a large spider web."
From the dungeon dressing we can include several objects and one of the descriptions
- a screen
- a large barrel
- a pail
- a brazier and charcoal
- a tapestry
- a pile of bones
- a pile of fresh dung
- a rotten rope
- a scroll tube
- "There is a slight, damp breeze. You can hear scratching in the distance. You find a broken bottle and a plate here. You also see a skull in the room."
Using all this we want around 12 descriptions to fill out the map.
General Features. Whispers follow any who enter, whispers of long dead warriors, demonic spirits, sacrificed villagers or whatever the character imagines. In addition, many beetles, spiders, centipedes and other vermin can be found in the caves.
The north-most rooms, with the entrance there as the ancient gates.
- Ancient Gates.- A tall pair of granite doors in a somber grove marks the entrance to this dungeon. There is space for a human-sized creature to squeeze in. One of them can be opened by a lever inside the first cave, causing a loud grinding noice. A pile of fresh cow dung lies inside.
- Welcome Rug. There is an ancient rug here in the cave near to the entrance used by the villagers. Lying nearby are a brazier and some charcoal.
- Offering Room. This room is brightly lit by large glowing torches. It's a quiet, irregular cave about 20 foot across. The floor has been cobbled. You see a bloodstained pitchfork and a large spider web. It is here that offerings are often left by the villagers each year. A giant spider lurks in the web
The western rooms, with the entrance used by vermin
- Vermin Entrance, The cave entrance is steep, coming out 15 ft up the valley side and hard to see from the ground. It descends down about 10 ft wide to a rubble and bone strewn jagged cave floor.
- Old Crypt- There is a human crypt here built at the same time as the Hero's Tomb. Old inscriptions in an ancient tongue telling of a buried human warrior. Newer inscriptions in the villagers tongue tell of three more bull cultists whose bones are left here. Under the cairn are the remains of a human skeleton and 25gp worth of burial goods in bracelets and a rusted ornate bronze sword. Anyone taking trade goods may attract the wrath of the chalk giants. A scroll tube lies in one corner with a spell scroll.
- Vermin Lair. This is the home of giant vermin, most likely giant beetles or giant centipedes that can navigate the caves entrance. A large barrel of local cider lies among the bones of long and more recent dead.
The south rooms, with the fountain in the south-most room.
- The Fountain and The Wraith. There is a working fountain here, with the statue of a minotaur rising up from the centre. A foldable screen of wood and hide blocks sight of the fountain. There is a pile of bones here, many from those sacrificed by the bull cult. A wraith huant the fountain, appearing to any who disturb the fountain or remain for more than a minute. The wraith is a manifestation of the demonic shrine protected by the hero's tomb. It appears as the head of a bull and speaks demonic and the tongue of the villagers. If slain it restores itself after a week. It will encourage any it speaks to to seek out the blessed shrine below. It is the figure behind the Cult of the Horned Ghost
- Holy Pool. The ceiling drips mineral water, which fills a pool of clear water. The villagers carry it off as the high point of their ceremony. There is a pail here.
- Bull Shrine. This cave is brightly lit by a flickering bright light of unknown origin. It's a quiet cave around ten feet across, broken flagstones litter the cave, before the marble statue of a bull-like figure. This is a shrine for the Cult of the Horned Ghost. A tapestry depicting a bull goring many humans hangs from a handy rock. There is a 25% chance of finding cultists here at any time.
The east rooms, with the east exit the bridge to the Hero's Tomb
- Bridge Entrance The cave here becomes worked stone and the whispers quieten. A rotten rope lies on the floor.
- Rabbit Spirit There is a small white rabbit here, a spirit of an ancient chalk figure in the valley. The rabbit will wander the caves and other denizens leave it alone. It can channel the power of the chalk giants if harmed or angered.
- Ancient Ruins There is a slight, damp breeze. You can hear scratching in the distance. You find a broken bottle and a plate here. You also see a skull in the room.
Encounter Table (1d6)
- Wraith of the Fountain
- Rabbit spirit
- Cultists of the Horned Ghost
- Giant Spider
- Other giant vermin
- Valley encounter
Onto the Tomb
Next up is the big one, the Hero's Tomb itself....